Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Vice of Self-Reliance

"Good morning, Toby!" I greeted him as he sleepily looked up at me from his bottom bunk.

"Before you get dressed, I want to pray with you about your day."

Toby's in the throes--as we all should be--of learning humble obedience. Knowing that today was likely to bring some challenges, I wanted to help him get started by praying, "Give us today our daily bread," asking that Jesus would give him the strength to be obedient.

Toby considered my prayer announcement. Then he quietly said, "I think I can manage without it."

"What?" I thought I heard him correctly, but wasn't sure.

"I think I can manage to do it without prayer."

His candor surprised me. I gently told him that he was quite wrong and that Jesus tells us in His Word that "apart from [Him we] can do nothing." (John 15:5)

I often have the same attitude, but I'm savvy enough to know I shouldn't ever voice such a sentiment. But don't I live like it is true?

Not only do we commonly tackle the challenges--large and small--of our day without prayer, we try to follow Jesus without reading His Word to us, the Bible. May God keep me faithfully near Him in prayer and in the Scriptures, that I might be a living example to my children.

I gathered Toby up into a hug and we prayed together for Jesus to enable him to respond in obedience. God is faithful and Toby saw His power at work in his life.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I think I am really growing in prayer this year, not least because I am back in BSF leadership and the prayer times at meetings are a great encouragement to me. I spent a fair bit of my time in the emergency department yesterday praying - not for myself, but for the doctors, nurses, orderlies, and of course patients around me. Knowing that my prayers through the past week had already been answered (I had taken my medication in good time, as I had prayed I would if I needed it) I was conscious of a desire to pray for each of these other people around me. It helped knowing other women were praying for me also, back at the leaders' meeting with the area team.
xtxS
PS Sam always asks me to pray for him when we walk from the car park into his child care room, and it is a very precious thing to do together.

Pam said...

I loved this post! Shortly after I read it last month I tried waking each of my kids one morning with prayer. A couple of them smiled with sleepy eyes, and couple of them thought I had fallen off my rocker. :) But they got it after I explained... Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Edwards said...

Pam,
Thanks for leaving a comment! It shortens the distance between us. :)

Sharon,
The same is true for you, actually! I know your comment here is old, but seeing it again reminds me to thank you for it. I discovered a great resource for kick-starting prayers based on Scriptures in praying for the next generation, with room to journal in your own Scriptures. I'll have to blog about it with a link.

Love you both!
Amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...