Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gentle Exhortations

The tyranny of the urgent. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Fire-fighting. Tail wagging the dog. Whatever the metaphor, it seems that events and circumstances of every day--or hour--pull me along, leaving me little time to consider if I'm going in the right direction.

And what direction should that be? I want to mother with gentleness, being affectionately desirous of my children, ready to share not just the Gospel of Christ with them, but also myself, because they are so dear to me. I want my own conduct to be holy, righteous, blameless, and infused with a constant spirit of thankfulness. I want to exhort each one of my children, and encourage each one, and charge each one to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls them into His own kingdom and glory.*

I want to be praying, hard, that each one of my children would accept the word of God not as the word of men, but as it really is, the word of God, which is at work among us.*

And not only do I pray that by God's grace I might mother this way, but that my ministry at church and in my community would also be guided in this same way. 

This is not my reality, but it is my prayer, and while I am completely incapable of attaining this, I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able.

*You might recognize that this prayer is based upon I Thessalonians 2:7-13


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...