Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Grief for Unbelief

Christopher Hitchens has died. Don't miss this obituary by Douglas Wilson, who debated Hitchens several times about Christianity:
The short promotion tour for the release of the book was a series of debates that Christopher and I held in New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, which were filmed for the documentary Collision. a result of all this, we were thrown together in a number of situations. One time we shared a panel in Dallas, and I told the crowd there that if Christopher and I were not careful, we were in danger of becoming friends. During the time we spent together, he never said an unkind thing to me—except on stage, up in front of everybody. After doing this, he didn't wink at me, but he might as well have.

Wilson said it so well:
We have no indication that Christopher ever called on the Lord before he died, and if he did not, then Scriptures plainly teach that he is lost forever. But we do have every indication that Christ died for sinners, men and women just like Christopher. We know that the Lord has more than once hired workers for his vineyard when the sun was almost down (Matt. 20:6).

***

I recently read a quote from Hitchens in which he admitted that his life-long rallying cry, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" was failing him. In fact, he observed, this doesn't ring true when battling cancer and he noted that there are plenty of things in life that actually leave us weaker. Perhaps Hitchens's cancer weakened his unbelief until it was replaced with belief. I hope so.

Previous posts about Hitchens are here.

4 comments:

Laura at By the Bushel said...

He will be missed. To this day, I've watched him on many a favorite episode and movie, but did not know of his atheistic activism. two levels of loss for me today. That he will make no more shows, but that in his loss of life, he likewise forfeited eternal life. Wilson speaks truth. Vineyard workers have been hired late. Rewarded well I'm sure. That's for God to decide.
Thanks for this post.

Mrs. Edwards said...

Laura, I wonder if you are confusing Hitchens with someone else? Or am I confused? Hitchens was a writer for Vanity Fair, wrote books such as "God is Not Great," and his memoir, and others. I don't think he did any movies, although he appeared on television talk shows.

Quotidian Life said...

I've spent some time today reading Christopher Hitchens obituaries/articles and thinking about why his death has touched me so deeply. I hope to have time to write my own reflection, but, sigh. It's that time of year. We'll see.

Mrs. Edwards said...

I'll look forward to reading your thoughts. It just seems that when public figures cross over after declaring unbelief, they remind us of what is at stake in our lives and those we love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...