Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Links for your Christmas Weekend Reading

My Due App is chiming! The to-do's that are due today make a long list.

But just in case you, unlike me, have some time to put your feet up today and relax, here are some links to interesting reading.


Two years ago, I introduced Lane to Tintin. Since then, he's read all the library Tintin books and collected a few of them for his own shelf. Now, the movie is out. We haven't seen it yet, but it seems that it will not disappoint us. If nothing else, Tintin will now be discovered by boys everywhere, which is surely a good thing. Here's a movie review of the new film: "The Wonderful Adventures of Tintin" by Frederica Mathewes-Green

I appreciated this short piece from National Review's Jonah Goldberg. He addresses the cultural problem of the "war on Christmas" from a sympathetic non-believer's point-of-view. "Santa's Not Pagan" by Jonah Goldberg

The Iowa caucuses are looming. Stephen Bloom decides to decode Iowans for the rest of us, but in the process he tells us more about himself. The religious influence on Iowan culture particularly galls Bloom. He even sites the fact that one of his student's parents had a "come to Jesus meeting" with her after she was out too late as an example of the dangerous and deep influence of religion on Iowans. He's very afraid that these hapless people have such national influence on our Presidental race. Be sure to read to the end and note that following the initial publication of the piece, multiple factual errors of Bloom's had to be corrected. Very revealing. "Observations from 20 Years of Iowa Life" by Stephen G. Bloom

On an entirely different, but perennially popular, topic I give you "No Sex Please, I"m British" by Carl Trueman at the Reformation 21 blog. Maybe you missed it, but sex is the topic du jour of Christian Bible studies. Mark Driscoll just published his new, and reportedly graphic, marriage book, Real Marriage, and he is already well-known for his teaching and preaching on the Song of Solomon. I like Mark Driscoll's preaching. Mr. Edwards and I have listened to his podcasts off and on for several years. In fact, while I'm teaching third graders Sunday School, Mr. Edwards is in an adult class that is studying Driscoll's "Love Life" series on the Song of Solomon. Nevertheless, I thought Trueman's post is a good balancing view. Read it all, but here's a portion,
"The Bible's refusal to reduce sex to physical acts is surely one of the reasons why it uses poetry to describe it. Poetry communicates meaning and significance which cannot be reduced simply to the reference; and the turning of the Song of Songs primarily into a sex manual is arguably a greater act of reductionism than jumping straight from the text to Christ and the church."
The Due App is still chiming with all I must do today. Baking, wrapping, laundry, laundry, laundry. The mundane never goes away, even on the most beloved Holy Day of the year!

3 comments:

Quotidian Life said...

I'm a sucker for some good links--no time until the 26th but I'm collecting links and I'm fantasizing about staying in my pajamas until noon, sipping coffee and leisurely following links. My boys are Tin Tin fans too and I always enjoy Frederica Mathewes-Green, so I'm bookmarking that one--and the Mark Driscoll. My older two listen to him and just today they were talking about his talk to young men. Thanks!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

We saw the movie. One I'd been hoping would meet my expectations. It wet our appetites for more of his stories. I can recommend, with a comment about the noticable reference/story fact of the Captains alchohol use. I'm unfamilar with the stories, so I don't know how true it was to the book (which is always important to me),but it was very significan in the movie. Tin Tin seems to be a stellar secular model for boys. His demeanor & steady logic amidst circumstance of adventure was excellent. I can't wait to read these with the boys. I know it wasn't the point of this post, but thought I'd mention.

Sharon said...

Our family went to see Tintin yesterday and loved it. At the dinner table Joshua was able to elucidate us with the details of several differences between the movie and the comics it is based upon, which he has read. They mostly amounted to (1) the movie doesn't cover all that happens in Tintin comics with these secondary characters and (2) Joshua said the butler was always around in the comics, although this may be because he has read future "episodes" which feature him as a greater character.

The fast pace of Tintin comics (which frustrates me as a reader who really doesn't pay attention to pictures in the same way Joshua, for example, does) translates very well to the screen, particularly to the stop-motion animation style.

Our kids thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm glad we made it one of our two family movies for the year. I'd like to get it on DVD as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...