Imparting a classical education at home. Check out the Edwards Academy.

Psalm 78
. . . we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. .
so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hokusai and Japanese Paintings

A print of this Vincent Van Gogh painting, "Almond Blossom," hangs in our dining room. It is beautiful and it reminds me of Jeremiah 1:11-12:

And the word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Jeremiah, what do you see?” And I said, “I see an almond branch.” Then the LORD said to me, “You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it.”

The Hebrew for "almond" sounds similar to the Hebrew for "watching," according to the text note.


Today Toby and I read Hokusai: The Man Who Painted the Mountain. We enjoyed this picture book about the influential Japanese painter of the 19th century very much.



The book notes how Hokusai's prolific paintings and artworks influenced Western painters such as Van Gogh and other Impressionists and post-Impressionists. Both of us immediately looked at our beloved "Almond Blossom" print and smiled. (Hokusai's "Goldfinch and Cherry Tree" shown below.)


Artwork images from Allposters.com

1 comment:

Quotidian Life said...

I'd never before seen that painting by Van Gogh--it is beautiful. The almonds trees will soon be blooming in Jordan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...